Friday, June 5, 2009

Heading back north

[caption id="attachment_416" align="alignnone" width="360" caption="Steve and Tara"]Steve and Tara[/caption]

I met a schoolmate, Tara, that lives in San Francisco for dinner and a trip through the California Academy of Sciences. (No, my gut isn't really that big as you see in the picture; I was leaning back against the railing.) We ate at one of her favorite restaurants, Park Chow and ate dead fish -- mahi mahi and halibut -- then went over to the museum to see alive fish swimming around, including an enormous giant sea bass.

[caption id="attachment_417" align="alignnone" width="380" caption="Steve and giant sea bass"]Steve and giant sea bass[/caption]

We then stayed up until midnight catching up on the last 20 years of our lives.

Despite a late night, I was up shortly after 6 am and got everything packed. I grabbed a quick breakfast at the Olympic Flame Cafe next door, then checked out of the hotel. When I went into the parking garage to get my bike, I discovered it was surrounded by exotic sports cars: Ferarris and Lamborghinis and Others, Oh My!

[caption id="attachment_418" align="alignnone" width="480" caption="More than two dozen exotic cars"]More than two dozen exotic cars[/caption]

I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge by 8 am and headed back up Highway 1, the same way I came down.

[caption id="attachment_419" align="alignright" width="320" caption="Just north of San Francisco, Hwy 1"]Just north of San Francisco, Hwy 1[/caption]

I made it to Fortuna without any problems, although I had to dodge what looked like a gray fox but was probably just a young, skinny coyote as well as two female turkeys. It misted a little bit the last 20 miles of 1 but the precipitation was nothing substantial.

I checked into the Super 8 in Fortuna at 3:30 pm and got two loads of laundry started in their coin-operated machines. Dinner was at the Eel River Brewery next door. I ordered blackened salmon but it was super greasy and salty so they made a second attempt. That version was grilled and less salty but was over cooked. The 'works' baked potato and amber ale were good, however.

Tomorrow I head due east on 36 to Red Bluff, then will backtrack to Weaverville for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment