Thursday, June 4, 2009

Culture and sophistication

I walked over to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, or SFMOMA as the banners all over town call it, and got a healthy dose of culture and sophistication. One of the things I find convenient about modern art museums is you can tell very quickly what you like, and more often than not, what you don't like. Modern art can be very 'odd'.

Some of it kicks ass, though. I did get to see a Picasso, some Jackson Polluck, and a couple Diego Rivera paintings, one of which I really like.

[caption id="attachment_408" align="alignnone" width="472" caption=""The flower carrier" by Diego Rivera"]"The flower carrier" by Diego Rivera[/caption]

Modern art sculpture seems to be where people truly get off the merry-go-round before it has come to a complete stop. They had a large off-white bean bag with a gaping hole in the top, kind of like a stocky donut. Look down into the hole and it's got a pile of brown fabric bundled up inside giving you the impression you just looked into a giant albino's rectum. Another 'sculpture' was a stack of three cardboard fruit boxes, like you'd see piled up behind a grocery store.

I hope that artist didn't get paid for his work.

One abstract painting caught my eye, and I'm not sure why. Perhaps because it's got a sense of humor without being too far over the edge. It also has a subtle sense of depth that I appreciate.

[caption id="attachment_409" align="alignnone" width="480" caption="Three people"]Three people[/caption]

The part of the experience that was the most enjoyable was watching all the unique and interesting people, both inside the museum and outside walking the busy sidewalks of the city.

[caption id="attachment_410" align="alignnone" width="360" caption="The Art of Appreciating Art"]The Art of Appreciating Art[/caption]

When glancing out an upstairs window of the museum, I was lucky enough to find Waldo on the rooftop of an adjacent building. I never knew he had a career in HVAC.

[caption id="attachment_411" align="alignnone" width="480" caption="I finally found Waldo!"]I finally found Waldo![/caption]

No comments:

Post a Comment