Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Too cold to ride?

The short answer, so far, is 'no'.

I've ridden in temps down to 25 degrees before without issue. There's a thin sliver of cold air that comes in through the top of my helmet's face shield and hits me right on my eyebrows, but if cold eyebrows are the only thing I have to complain about on a cold ride then I'm doing pretty good.

The weather lately, however, has been a bit more than I'm willing to risk. It's been cold to be sure -- 17 degrees when I got to work this morning -- and I'm tempted to set a new record for my coldest ride yet, but there is still a lot of patches of packed snow and ice around and we continue to have very strong east winds. The combination of random and various slick patches coupled with a brutal crosswind make it more than a matter of comfort.

It's a matter of safety. It's just not worth it to be on two wheels right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment