Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review: Shinko 011 Verge sport bike tires

UPDATE 9-18-2013: After purchasing a front and rear Shinko 011 'Verge' tire for my 2012 Suzuki GSX-R750, I've since put 5,000 miles on them and absolutely love them. They show hardly any wear, my chicken strips are only 1/4" wide and I've never had any loss or reduction of grip in the corners. I've ridden with them in the rain a couple of times now and they have felt planted and solid.

I paid $221 for the set from Motorcycle-Superstore.com, using a 10% coupon from a previous purchase and free shipping. I paid my local motorcycle shop, Yamaha Sports Plaza in Fairview, Oregon, $100 in labor to remove the factory Bridgestones and put on the Shinko's.

The reviews state that the 011's are a high mileage tire and I hope to get 8,000 miles from the rear, more from the front. I'll post again when the tires get within 80% of their tread life, so stay tuned.

Meanwhile, the Shinko's provide excellent grip with a completely neutral feel. When riding, I'm unaware of the tire, I simply ride as modestly or as assertively as I wish. They present no wobbles or vibration at any speed (I've had them up to 130 mph). Keep in mind these are not Z-rated tires, so it's not a good idea to take them over 150 mph. I've ridden on moderately damp pavement and they performed very well.

My chicken strips are only 1/4" wide at this point. Keep in mind I'm new to sport bike riding and only have 4,000 miles under my belt on my GSX-R. On every turn, these Shinkos have inspired confidence to this relatively newbie rider (as of this riding I've ridden 60,000 miles total, most of it on my 2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650).

I'm a huge fan of the Shinko brand of tires, feeling they are an outstanding value. They provide a lot of tire for relatively little money. The 011 Verge make a great tire for sport bikes, and unless they wear out after just a few thousand miles, I anticipate mounting them on my GSX-R750 for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment