Thursday, November 1, 2012

There's a change in the weather

It's amazing what can change from one month to the next. In western Oregon, we had record-setting low precipitation from July through September. And then October arrived and said, "Eff that!" I think October may have set a new record for high precipitation.

This is the season when my Gixxer becomes sad. I'm not afraid to get the bike wet but I'm concerned about riding a bike with so much torque and horsepower on wet pavement. This time of year, when all the leaves are falling, is especially dangerous because the wet roads are extra slick.

In other news, I'm already itching for another long trip. Normally I don't start getting the urge to plan long bike trips until January or February, but this year it has hit me early. The fatigue and strain of my 5,000 mile trip back in June is long past and over time the positive memories and feelings of such a journey take dominance. This time, I'm longing to go somewhere even more exotic. Perhaps an early Spring ride to Death Valley to see the blooms? Or maybe a mid-summer jaunt further up into Canada?

No comments:

Post a Comment