Thursday, May 15, 2008

Funny how your priorities change

Anyone that knows me can tell you that computers are an important part of my life. They practically are my life, considering I've made a career out of numerous aspects of the information technology field (I'm currently the IT Manager for a fisheries consulting firm). So a funny thing happened a few weeks back during a discussion with my wife about priorities.

Times are tough with the economy in the toilet. Unemployment is up and many people are fearful of losing their job, assuming they still have one. My wife and I were discussing what we'd do if either one of us became unexpectedly unemployed. We talked about what kind of jobs we'd pursue and what steps we'd take to tighten the belt and cut back on expenses.

She asked me if I would sell any of my computers.

At first that idea sounded as preposterous as asking me if I'd sell my family to an off-shore sweat shop. But then I gave it some more thought and realized that I really would be willing to sell my precious computers. In fact, after further contemplation I came to a realization. I would take all the things I own and put them on a list. I would prioritize that list with the first to go at the top. What would be at the bottom of that list?

My motorcycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment